HomeHome » Contact Us  

Irs Gov Where My Refund » Irs Gov Tax Return

IRS Substitute Filing Return - 3 Steps to Fix Your Debt

I owe how much! Let's say after figuring your taxes you find that you end up owing the IRS money. The money you owe comes out to a large amount, say $10,000. You're afraid to file your return because you know you can't afford the potential tax debt. Unfortunately before you know it, the IRS sends you a bill: not for $10,000, not for $15,000, but a bill for $25,000! The IRS has gone ahead and filed your tax return for you with what is called a Substitute Filing Return.

Don't let them do it...With a Substitute Filing Return the IRS does your taxes for you, and here's the rub. The IRS only applies the standard deduction to the return and only gives you one dependent if you have one. And that's it; they don't take into account any other deductions or credits that you may have. The IRS then "calculates" your tax debt, adds penalties and interest and sends you the bill.

Now you are up the creek...and not only do you not have a paddle, but your boat has a leak. Right now that $10,000 debt sounds pretty good doesn't it. So how do you get the IRS to go back and accept your original return? You have to file an Amended Tax Return. I hope you saved all of your tax records.

Here are the steps to filing an amended tax return:

1. Make sure you're in compliance with the IRS. This means you can't have any other years that you haven't filed. The IRS won't even talk to you if you have any un-filed years.

2. Get together all of your receipts. You have to have proof of all your deductions and credits. When filing an amended return you have to prove to the IRS that they need to accept your adjusted return. As far as the IRS is concerned you are guilty until proven innocent.

3. Submit your amended return. If you want the return to succeed and get the IRS to accept the return you should get the services of a tax attorney, CPA, or licensed enrolled agent. These are the only professions the IRS will negotiate with.

There is a catch...Your amended return may not result in you saving any money on the return. On top of that if there is a balance remaining you will still have to pay interest and penalties, but at least it will calculated based on the new balance. The best thing that you can do to avoid a Substitute Filing Return is to go ahead and file even if the debt seems high. It will still be a lower amount than if the IRS files for you.

Now you have the smoking gun...Use it!

Richard Close was an IRS-Hitman. He was a revenue officer who took out anyone that owed the IRS money. He left that behind and now helps thousands of Americans beat Uncle Sam and save thousands of dollars. The IRS-Hitman can help you with your tax debt problems. He offers free advice and tips on removing wage garnishments and bank levies; and arms you with the skills to slash your tax debt: Visit at: http://irs-hitman.blogspot.com or http://www.taxdefensenetwork.com, or contact: email [email protected] or 1-888-248-9058.

Source: www.a1articles.com